Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Coin Sex Lab Relate and Review

       In this lab, we determined the different alleles, from each parents gene, for offspring by first writing a monohybrid/dihybrid punnett square or by drawing gene segregation, then flipping coins and recombining the new traits. The coins in the lab served as the heterozygous or homozygous genotypes from both gametes, which they only have haploid of chromosomes. My expected results for the dihybrid cross simulation was that there was at least going to be 1 homozygous recessive (bbee, 1/16, blond hair with blue eyes), 3 brown hair and blue eyed offspring, 3 blond hair and brown eyed offspring, and 9 brown hair and brown eyed offspring.Though after completing the dihybrid cross experiment, the actual result was only 1/16 (bbee) of the offspring had the non-dominant trait. Creating punnett squares to determine the offspring traits is the limit of using probability to predict our offspring's traits because we cannot pin-point each trait for each offspring. Understanding this relates to my life because when I choose to have a child, I can determine the probability of my offsrping having a specific trait. I can see if there is a certain disease my child can have that might be autosomal inherited or X-linked inherited. I can also relate this experience with my passion for math when I was figuring out the probability of the offspring's trait. This concludes my Coin Sex Lab Relate and Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment