Friday, December 4, 2015

Human DNA Extraction Lab

       In this lab we asked the question, " How can DNA be separated from cheek cells in order to study it?" I found out that DNA could be extracted from cheek cells. When adding detergent, salt, enzyme, and cold alcohol to my gatorade solution, I observed my DNA rising up to the surface of the alcohol layer. This observation helped strengthen the scientific ideas behind it from our lecture notes in each vodcast we were assigned in class. This data supports my claim because DNA extraction is the process of homogenization, lysis, and precipitation. When I added the enzyme to the gatorade solution, I saw faint activity in the mixture, but then I added the layer of alcohol which made the DNA in the test tube visible. The type of enzyme that was used in the experiment was protease. 
       While my hypothesis was supported by my data, there could have been errors due the lack of not scraping enough cheek cells for the gatorade mixture. This error affected my results because the was little DNA to be observed after adding the cold rubbing alcohol. I looked at other students' DNA and there were much larger chunks of the DNA to be recognized. Due to this error, in future experiments I recommend to get enough of one material that is needed for a lab test and I also recommend to stay completely focused on the lab and try your best not to get off task.
       This lab was done to demonstrate the steps for the extraction of DNA and strengthen our skills with DNA. From this lab I learned a lot about the main sequence that happens when DNA is extracted and how it works. This helps me understand the concepts and vocabulary for this unit. Based on my experience with this lab I can use this information to try this experiment at home. This concludes the Human DNA Extraction Lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment