Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Recombinant DNA Lab

      In this lab, we chose one antibiotic that our plasmid would provide resistance to. Out of tetracycline, kanamycin, and ampicillin, my partner and I chose kanamycin. We randomly chose the antibiotic not knowing what to expect when testing with the recombinant DNA procedure. Restriction enzymes are bacterial enzymes which are the major tools of recombinant DNA technology. My partner and I chose the restriction enzyme called Eco RI. We chose this restriction enzyme because we thought it would be closer to the insulin gene in which we were correct. If I used an enzyme that cut the plasmid in two places, the ring would not be complete in which it is not necessary when you cut the human DNA. This process is important in our everyday life because insulin is the hormone produced that is used to digest sugars. I believe this process can be used to produce phage plaques which contain recombinants. This concludes the summary of the Recombinant DNA lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment